Margie L. Rice served 12 years as Mayor of the City of Westminster. In addition Rice has served an additional ten (10) years as a City Council Member. Prior to her service to the City of Westminster, Rice served seventeen and a half (17 1/2) years as a Trustee of the Westminster School District.
Rice is in her 26th year serving on the Board of Directors for the Midway City Sanitary District (MCSD). Rice was first elected to MCSD in November of 1990 and has served as its President, President Pro-Tem, Secretary and Treasurer. Rice has also served as the District's representative to the Orange County Sanitation District, the Westminster Chamber of Commerce and CSDA. Director Rice currently serves on CASA’s Sewer Lateral Committee.
In her role as Director on the MCSD board, Rice has been instrumental in the following projects for the District: the reorganization of the Garden Grove/Midway City Sanitary District, rehabilitation of all four of the District's lift stations (completed in 2008), and installation of a SCADA system to monitor the upgraded lift stations. MCSD was one of the first Districts to transform to an automated solid waste collection system, and implantation of a SSMP (Sewer System Master Plan) before it was mandated and many other projects to benefit the District and its patrons. The MCSD not only boasts of a state of the art system but is proud of having some of the lowest rates in the region.
Rice has been a Westminster homeowner for over 60 years. She has 4 children, 19 grandchildren, 23 great grandchildren, and 7 great-great grandchildren.
- Elected Mayor November 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008 & 2010
- Nine years as Westminster City Councilwoman
- 26 years as Director on the Board of Midway City Sanitary District
- Seventeen years as Trustee on the Board of the Westminster School District
- Fifty-five years as PTA volunteer
- Director and current President, Midway City Sanitary District
- Director, PCTA - Public Cable Television Authority
- West Orange County Cities Group
- U.S. Conference of Mayors
- Alternate, Orange County Fire Authority
- Alternate, Orange County Library Advisory Commission
- Orange County Housing Board
- Orange County Solid Waste Board
- Boys and Girls Club Board
- West Orange Water Board
- Director, County Flood Control
- Director, Public Cable Television Authority Board
- Vice Chair of Oversight Committee of RDA
- Member, Westminster Kiwanis Club
- Trustee, Springdale Baptist Church of Westminster
- Board, Rose Center Foundation
PREVIOUS COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES:
- Westminster Historical Society - lifetime member
- Westminster Collaborative Board
- Westminster Hospital Guild
- Foundation for the Arts, Board of Directors
- Served with Westminster Little League for 15 years
- Served with Long Beach Cub Scouts for 10 years
- Board, Westminster Foundation for Educational Excellence.
SERVICE WITH WESTMINSTER SCHOOL DISTRICT BOARD ON FOLLOWING COMMITTEES:
- Eight years on the Special Education Consortium Board
- Textbook Studies
- Mainstreaming Arts in the Curriculum
- Career Education
- Early Childhood Education
- Ethnic Study
- Site Improvement
- Citizen's Advisory Committee for School Closure
- Board Advisory Committee Alternate
- Juvenile Task Force appointed by State Assemblyman, Chet Wray
- State Education Advisory Committee, appointed by Assemblyman Richard Robins
- State CASA Director, California Association Sanitation
- Orange County Local Agency Formation Commission (LAFCO) Advisory Board
- League of Cities
- League of California Cities, Orange County Division Executive Steering Committee
- League of California Cities Orange County Division Waste Management Commission
- "Woman of the Year" for the 68th Assembly District, named by Assemblyman Ken Maddox.
- 2001 recipient of Kiwanis International Hixon Award.
- Nominated Chamber of Commerce 2001 Citizen of the Year.
- Westminster School District PTA Council Service Awards and three Continuous Service Award from different PTA's
- Numerous community volunteer awards
- "Woman of the Year 2014" named by Senator Lou Correa